Thursday, July 16

MY SISTER JEN


One of my favorite parts about my vacation was getting to see my sister and her and her family being a part of our adventure in Oklahoma. We drove up from Branson, which all in all was a pleasant drive. My dad and I chatted most of the way, and listened to more than one Banana's (http://www.bananascomedyclub.com/) dvd.


My sister and I don't get to see each other too often. We don't really keep in touch through email. Just the occasional phone call, and lately it's been fun to communicate with her through facebook. Jen and I are about 3 years apart in age. I was out of the house as she barely started high school. She has been through a lot in her 30+ years. Lots of good times though, and has remained faithful to her passions in life. She has always been one I have looked to for inner strength, yet not so sure where I stood in her life. Right now she is busy making lots of decisions, and working hard for her family. She has always been good at looking inward. Figuring out what is best for her and the direction she wants to take her life. Much better, I think, than I. I admire her for this. For always challenging herself. For just being her. Love that we are sisters-and that we are now staying more connected.


I found this quote some time ago, and it made such an impression on me:


The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.

Attitude, to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do.


It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company ...a church ... a home.


The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people act a certain way.


We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude...I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you...we are in charge of our attitudes.


Charles Swindoll (AE)

No comments: