Sunday, December 9

Small Blessings

This morning we woke up to a blanket of ice covering everything, including our vehicles. We were debating whether or not to go to church, but we had a delivery to make there this morning, and we needed to find out whether the Christmas parade was still going on or not, so we decided to go. We took the truck, incase we needed 4wd, and the roads weren't nearly as bad as I had anticipated that they would be.

At church, we found out that the parade has been reschedules for Thurs. night at 7 p.m. So we will be braving the cold weather that evening, I believe. The kids really want to see Santa. He was supposed to be at the Oasis right after the parade today, but we will have to find out if he will be making his appearance on Thurs. night.

We came home, had lunch, and put the little one's down for a nap. It was quiet and enjoyable. I went into our family room, and started rearranging my scrapbook area, and did some cleaning for my busy week I have this coming week. If I get everything done this week, it will be a miracle. I just love this time of year. This Christmas especially. I am starting to really enjoy homeschooling, and am learning how much fun I can make our day, and instill in my children's minds the true meaning of this blessed holiday.

Truthseeker woke up just as I was finishing the family room. He was very disappointed because Skaterboy had gone down the hill with a neighbor friend to go sledding. We have great sledding hills here. Scott and I made the decision that Truthseeker is too young to sled without adult supervision, thus the disappointment. So I changed the subject quickly, and offered to play a game with him. Of course, he chose his favorite board game, Pay Day. I put on some Christmas music, and by the light of the fire, we enjoyed about 6 rounds of Pay Day. He was very pleased that he beat me, again. I felt truly blessed that I had an afternoon to spend alone with my 6 year old. Scott was in the LR watching the Patriots game. Truthseeker and I played and talked, and just had a nice time together. So in effect, the ice was a small blessing after all. I just pray Scott makes it to work tomorrow without going in the ditch. In the past two years, he and I have gone in the ditch 3 times, each time doing lots of damage to our vehicles.
This year will be different though, I can feel it.

Last week, the kids and I constructed an advent wreath, for the first time ever. We have one at church of course, but I never really incorporated it into my curricullum before. The wreath turned out beautiful, and we all have enjoyed taking turns lighting and blowing out the candle, for the first week of advent. Tonight, of course we start week 2. This is truly a tradition that we will carry with us every year from now on.

Last Friday the kids made their yule logs for their bedrooms; another new tradition. Our 7 foot tree we cut down at the tree farm last week, soon became a 5 footer, when we realized how crooked the trunk was. All in all, it's a beautiful tree, and we had enough trunk to make 3 beautiful yule logs.

I have been getting up with Scott lately in the mornings. It's nice to chat with him alone, before he goes to work. We can discuss the day ahead, and plan our week. After he leaves in the morning, I pray, and do my devotionals. It's so peaceful, and beautiful with the Christmas tree lights twinkling in the background.

A few weeks ago at our small group meeting at church, I mentioned that I was struggling with my alone time with God. There just didn't seem to be enough time. At least that was what I was trying to express, if someone didn't understand it that way. After we returned home from Missouri, after Thanksgiving, I started waking up when Scott did in the morning. Believe me, 4:30 is early, but I have adjusted somehow. I feel like God has revealed to me that I need to schedule time with him, not just go to him hap-hazardly. So I have been faithful lately. I am really enjoying our date together each morning. He is revealing things to me through his word, that I haven't seen in this light before. I feel truly blessed. A Christmas gift from God this year. What could be better?

We are trying to keep things simple this Christmas, and trying to get by with less stuff, and more giving to others in need. I need to keep this locked in my brain on Tuesday, when we do our Christmas Shopping for the kids.

Skaterboy turns 15 one week from today. I can't believe it. I can still remember the moments after his birth. The time passes so quickly. I pray that I get to experience the feeling of having another baby grow inside me, and to hold that little bundle, and watch him/her grow. In God's time....not mine.

Blessings, Amy

No comments: