Wednesday, June 10

More vacation photos - Relaxing at the condo, visiting relatives, and Grandma's 84th Birthday. Oh... and a promised recipe ;)

Thumbody and I, and his duckie (this is what he calls his blankie) relaxing at our timeshare condo, the first day we got to Branson. Our condo is actually in Kimberling City, not far from Branson.

Aunt Verna and Uncle Ray stopped by for a visit. They were camping at another resort close by.
Uncle Ray visits with Dad, and smiles for a photo.

Here's what all southern ladies do, while together. Did you know that? The men go off on their own, and the ladies "sit". To "sit" in southern terms means to actually sit and talk, and sip tea, or other beverages. We enjoyed our time "sitting" with Aunt Verna, mom and Grandma, catching up on "everything". That's the coolest part about "sitting", you get to know everything you've missed over the past couple years.
Grandma turned 84 while we were at the condo. I gave her some organic herbal tea, and some bright and colorful socks. Mom and dad gave her the prettiest decorative hat box. I believe my grandma has a collection of hat boxes, and she loved the one they gave her. I think she had a nice 84 year's young birthday.

Grandma and her hat box. Happy Birthday Grandma! Oh, the morning of her birthday, mom and dad had to leave for work, so they had to leave early in the morning. I decided that I wanted to cook her something yummy for supper, so I made that delicious Crispy Shrimp recipe that I have been raving about for the last number of posts, and that I have promised to post, more than once. I will post the recipe below. We love the recipe so much, we have it at least once every 2 weeks or so. It really is delicious.

The recipe:
Honey Walnut Shrimp
1 lb. raw shrimp (raw tastes 100 times better in this recipe than pre-cooked)
1/2 cup walnut halves
3 tbsp mayonnaise
1-2 tbsps evaporated skim milk
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 egg white (may be omitted, see below.)
1/2 cup corn starch (for coating shrimp, but may be omitted...see below.)
olive oil for frying (any oil will do though)
For the walnuts:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
Method:
Peel and devein all the shrimp. Pat dry with paper towels, add the egg white, mix well with the shrimp and set aside.
Rinse the walnut halves with water, drain and set aside.
Heat up the water until it boils and add in the sugar.
Keep stirring until it turns thick and golden color and then add the walnuts.
Boil for 2 minutes, then drain and place walnuts on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray so they don't stick.
Heat oil in a wok or frying skillet on med/high. (It's 7 on my stove, but I end up turning it down to 5 to cook).
Coat the shrimp with a thick layer of corn starch and then fry in hot oil until golden brown. (I have omitted the cornstarch and egg whites altogether, and I think it's much better just to cook the shrimp until they are pink). I then drain them on a paper towel. Shrimp cook very fast, so I watch them closely, and only do as many as I can handle at one time.
In a bowl, stir together the mayo, honey, evap skim milk, and lemon juice.
Add shrimp and toss with the mayo sauce. Mix in sugar coated walnuts.
Serve with cooked rice of choice.
Enjoy!!! My family loves it. Even the young ones.





No comments: