Thursday, June 11

Our visit to the Veteran's Museum ...Branson, MO.

I highly recommend taking your family to this museum. It didn't cost much, in fact, Thumbody was free, but it was one of the best I have seen. The kids really enjoyed it too. What a sobering fact that our children have to grow up in a time of war, just like our parents and grandparents did. I was born during the Vietnam War era, but most of my childhood/early adulthood was during a time of peace. So I don't remember much, other than what my dad has told me about Thailand during the Vietnam War. That is where he was stationed, in Nakhon Phanom, Thailand. Here is a link to the memorial site for Air Force servicemen killed in Nakhon Phanom, during the Secret War of 1962-1975: http://aircommandoman.tripod.com/
Luckily, my father made it through the war okay. Some weren't so lucky, and this is what this museum is all about. Honoring our fallen soldiers.

The Memorial the kids are standing in front of is spectacular. There's no other words to describe it. It's a WWII Memorial commemorating one man who died in each state of the USA during WWII. So there are 50 soldiers marching in this memorial. Each person (statue) is different in size, and facial features. Under each soldier is the name of the person, and which state he came from. All 50 states were accounted for.
On either side of the monument, which was life size, were the names of all the soldiers killed in WWII. My grandma's brother was one of them. She was able to find his name on the long lists of names of the deceased. Here is a photo of her pointing out his name to the kids. What a learning experience that was, for the kids to see one of their relatives names on the WWII memorial. I think it gave them a sense of connection to the war, like they hadn't experienced before.

The photo below is of my dear youngest son, who sat taking in this painting for quite some time. This was in the Vietnam War room, I believe. He sat there and stared at it, very somberly for quite some time. I asked him what he saw, and he did a wonderful picture narration for a 5 year old. Such attention to detail this young child has. Oh Gosh, that just sounded like Yoda from Star Wars, didn't it?

Thumbody who is a very young 5, was probably the most interested in this museum. The huge WWII memorial he found the most fascinating, and wanted to see the soldiers, again and again. At one point he asked me why they all had the same weapons, and I answered (not knowing that anyone was even around us), "because they were all on the same team, Sweetie." An older gentleman, who probably (I am guessing) fought in WWII, laughed and said, "That's right, we WERE all on the same team." It still gives me goosebumps when I think of that moment.

I won't go into detail about all the different rooms there were, but there were many. It started with WWI and took you through Dessert Storm. At the very end of the museum, was a sign that read, "and for those currently fighting for our freedom". So all were remembered, except of course, those from way back... French/Indian War, Revolutionary War, and Civil War. But there probably wasn't that much documentation back then. (I'm guessing) I don't really know why those wars weren't listed.

The Home Front
It's raining today, and the kids are disappointed that they can't go swimming in our pool we set up yesterday. I believe that the water is too cold to swim anyway, but they wanted to give it a go. Skaterboy had his 2nd day of driver's ed this morning, and has had a lot of homework. He gets his permit on Tuesday. Scott has to work today, and will be leaving in about 40 minutes. I am looking forward to doing some sewing and scrapbooking today, if I can get it together here soon. I am cooking corn beef for dinner, but I think I will be splitting it into 2 meals. I think tonight I am going to make a reuben casserole, and then save the rest for something else tomorrow night. I can't decide if gravy would taste good with corned beef or not. What do you think? Email me and let me know, if you have any ideas. I love to try new recipes.
Oh, BTW... Yesterday's recipe I posted is also supposed to be served with steamed broccoli mixed in, or on the side. I completely forgot to add the note about the broccoli, and that's what makes the dish more healthy than just eating shrimp, sugar coated walnuts, and rice. Have a great rest of the day. Please keep my brother in your prayers. He's going through a tough time right now, and could use some praying on.

1 comment:

Pink Slippers said...

My boys would love to visit that museum.
Wendy